Skip to main content

The slow carb diet, progress made

Well, I've gone from 242.5 to 215.5 pounds in less than two months, and most of it is due to the slow carb diet. That, and walking 3 miles or more most nights.

How has it been? Over all, the best experience I've had losing fat. There have been a couple of days when I dropped a couple of pounds seemingly overnight and felt a little wasted the next day, but it happens. Over all, my energy level is up, I feel better, I look better, and I could swear my hair is growing in thicker as well.

The tough parts, oddly, are the once-a-week mandatory misbehavior days. See, with the slow carb regimen I really don't crave sugar, starches or alcohol, so it rather takes the fun out of misbehaving. But I do it anyway, it's part of the diet. And I suffer for it.

The day after a misbehavior day, my weight usually increases by several pounds. I have little energy. Emotionally, I sometimes am depressed for a day or two afterwards, not binge-eating guilt or anything like that, just over-all depressed. I think it is a manifestation of the change in biochemistry coming from ingesting starches and sugar.

But it works. By mid-week, my weight begins plummeting again.

What's going on here is that with the slow carb diet, my blood sugar stays at an even, low-but-not-too-low level. This means that insulin, the hormone which causes fat to deposit, is also staying low. Glucagon, the hormone that causes fat to burn, is elevated.

This is not a weird, unnatural regimen like the Atkins diet. This is just healthy eating. I plan to keep it up until my abs are chiseled. That may mean another 40 pounds of weight loss, but I'm up for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicos and Beans!

Chicos and Beans, Ese! They go together like Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. But what ARE they, and why are they so good? Chicos are as far as I know an ingredient peculiar to northeastern New Mexico. Chicos are sweet corn which is roasted in an outdoor wood-fired adobe oven called an Horno (pronounced or-no, as rhyming with “porno,” but don't make that association with the older generation.) The result is that the corn is preserved, but it keeps its sweetness and the sugars in the corn are caramelized, resulting in a wonderful, distinctive flavor. It is best to buy them from someone who has roasted them, as one never really knows how old the ones in the stores may be. Just like beans, if they are more than a year old, you have to cook them forever to make them tender. The classic winter repast of chicos and beans is about the sweetness of the ingredients and how they harmonize with each other. The chicos provide the sweetness of roasted corn, the smoked ham hocks provide the swe...

Banana Mango Habanero Sorbet

 This is a yummy adult dessert.  3 ripe bananas, cut up  2 cups mango juice  1 ripe habanero chile  1/3 cup sugar zest and juice of half a lime Heat the sugar with the mango juice until the sugar dissolves. Add remaining ingredients and let cool. Wizz it up in a blender. Chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Put it in your ice cream maker and let it do its thing. Freeze.   Best to serve a scoop in a margarita glass swimming in a pool of reposado tequila. 

Baking Sourdough At Estella's Cafe

I've been baking sourdough bread at Estella's Cafe now for more than a month, and I'm having a great time. I started baking sourdough bread at home about a year ago out of frustration, because there was not a good sourdough loaf to be had in this city (Las Vegas, NM.) The breads which have been baked locally are almost exclusively sandwich-type loaves in the Wonderbread tradition, which is to say soft, smushy, characterless things that you could likely compress into a doughball smaller than your fist. . That's not my kind of bread. Here's my criteria for a decent loaf. 1). The crust should be dark and substantial. Not burnt and not bulletproof, but it should be boldly and unashamedly crust. Crust carries much of the flavor of the bread, and the taste of a good crust has notes of coffee, toast, yeast,perhaps even dark unsweetened chocolate. Those flavors don't develop until the crust is dark. Wimpy, pale, soft crust is not a sin, that would imply some carna...