Skip to main content

Lactofermented Radish and Onion Schmaltz

Just jarred up a batch of forager chef Alan Bergo's lactofermented radish and onion shmaltz. 

Yeah, it's weird, and yeah, it's unexpectedly yummy and addicting. I expect the texture to improve once it chills in the fridge.

Roughly a pound and a half of radishes and onions are shredded or finely sliced, combined with two percent salt by weight, and vacuum sealed.

They are left out at room temperature for a week or so until the bag swells up with gas and the veg is lactofermented.  The radish-onion mix is then squeezed to remove excess juice, and put in a blender. Liquid schmaltz (rendered chicken fat) is drizzled in and wizzed up with the veg mixture until the mixture becomes a homogenous spreadable paste.  Next time, I will use a food processor for the blending, as I had to release the blades on the blender multiple times before this was done.

I realized only after re-reading Bergo's recipe that I had omitted raw garlic (1 tablespoon full) from the ferment. So maybe not as good? But still delish. I will be more mindful next time.

I would totally enjoy this spread on a bagel or on baguette slices. If you use red-skinned radishes, you will have the added effect of the shmaltz being pink in color. Why not?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicos and Beans!

Chicos and Beans, Ese! They go together like Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. But what ARE they, and why are they so good? Chicos are as far as I know an ingredient peculiar to northeastern New Mexico. Chicos are sweet corn which is roasted in an outdoor wood-fired adobe oven called an Horno (pronounced or-no, as rhyming with “porno,” but don't make that association with the older generation.) The result is that the corn is preserved, but it keeps its sweetness and the sugars in the corn are caramelized, resulting in a wonderful, distinctive flavor. It is best to buy them from someone who has roasted them, as one never really knows how old the ones in the stores may be. Just like beans, if they are more than a year old, you have to cook them forever to make them tender. The classic winter repast of chicos and beans is about the sweetness of the ingredients and how they harmonize with each other. The chicos provide the sweetness of roasted corn, the smoked ham hocks provide the swe...

Banana Mango Habanero Sorbet

 This is a yummy adult dessert.  3 ripe bananas, cut up  2 cups mango juice  1 ripe habanero chile  1/3 cup sugar zest and juice of half a lime Heat the sugar with the mango juice until the sugar dissolves. Add remaining ingredients and let cool. Wizz it up in a blender. Chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Put it in your ice cream maker and let it do its thing. Freeze.   Best to serve a scoop in a margarita glass swimming in a pool of reposado tequila. 

Baking Sourdough At Estella's Cafe

I've been baking sourdough bread at Estella's Cafe now for more than a month, and I'm having a great time. I started baking sourdough bread at home about a year ago out of frustration, because there was not a good sourdough loaf to be had in this city (Las Vegas, NM.) The breads which have been baked locally are almost exclusively sandwich-type loaves in the Wonderbread tradition, which is to say soft, smushy, characterless things that you could likely compress into a doughball smaller than your fist. . That's not my kind of bread. Here's my criteria for a decent loaf. 1). The crust should be dark and substantial. Not burnt and not bulletproof, but it should be boldly and unashamedly crust. Crust carries much of the flavor of the bread, and the taste of a good crust has notes of coffee, toast, yeast,perhaps even dark unsweetened chocolate. Those flavors don't develop until the crust is dark. Wimpy, pale, soft crust is not a sin, that would imply some carna...